Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Valor Forest Fruits


The second of the several different bars I got from the Spanish company Chocolates Valor, S.A., this one features a cacao content of 70% and the inclusion of dried forest fruits, namely raspberries and blackberries. The fruit, dried as it was, was fairly disconcerting, crunchy like nuts, but of a different consistency, I don't know that I liked it. Nor did it really taste much like raspberries or blackberries, I suppose there was an underlying fruit flavour behind the dark chocolate, but I've tasted chocolate with fruits that have been way better. The ingredient listing is fairly good, chocolate processed with alkali, sugar, cocoa, cocoa butter, glucose syrup, dried raspberries, fructose, dried blackberries, soy lecithin (as an emulsifier), citric acid (as an acidulant - to make it tart), sodium alginate (as a thickening agent) and natural flavours (likely vanilla, but perhaps raspberry and/or blackberry flavours). I don't think that I would choose this bar again, among the range of chocolate offerings that Valor has.

No comments: