Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Nestle Savoy Fruit and Nuts


Occasionally, I get to sample some Venezuelan made chocolate bars, mostly when the company I work for receives a visit from a worker from our Venezuelan plant. The big maker of chocolate in Venezuela is Nestlé Savoy, a subsidiary of Nestle. They make chocolate bars that are geared to the South American market, some similar to those found in North America, some not. The ingredient listing of this Special Edition chocolate bar is unusual, for its fruits portion, it is sugar, milk solids, cocoa butter, toasted almonds, raisins, candied (or sugared) orange pieces (the unusual ingredient, one, that it is in the bar, and two, that it is the fruit rather than the peel, at least for North Americans), cocoa liquor, lecithin and vanillin.



I would say that, I don't like, and have never liked, candied fruit, save for ginger, so I did not enjoy this bar (and it even made me a little queasy), but my beautiful Thai Bride enjoyed it.



My friend devoured this bar very quickly, I managed to save only this part of the wrapper. This Special Edition chocolate bar contains almonds.

1 comment:

acrobasisnuxvorella01 said...

I lived in Venezuela in 1967 and 1968. When I looked from my apartment across the valley in Caracas, I could see an enormous Savoy sign. In those days we could get all sorts of candy from Europe (Cadbury, Nestle & Zotter), North America (Hershey, Mars, Curtis, Reese & Peter Paul) and South America (Jet, Lacta, Golpe). Savoy chocolate bars from Venezuela were better than anything available, mostly because their chocolate tasted better. The Beer brothers from Austria and John Miller from Venezuela founded the Savoy company and put more sugar and more milk in their chocolate bars. That made them taste better than any of their foreign competitors. And the best of their bars back in the '60s was their fruit and nut bar. Savoy was acquired by Nestle in 1988.