Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Blog Action Day

The idea for Blog Action Day is to get bloggers together to blog about a subject; this year's subject is the environment, what is wrong and what we can do about the problems. I'm a day late, it's supposed to be October 16th, but I'm posting my small contribution.

A particular thorn in my side regarding the environment, is the plastic bags one gets from every store, it is hard to recycle them, one can only use so many for garbage, and they don't break down when they do end up in the waste system. These plastic bags clog the environment in so many ways. Even recycling them is not so good, as the plastic ends up being more brittle and does not last as long. Cities and towns are taking the initiative, banning plastic bags, and now I see stores selling large canvas or plastic bags to replace the thin plastic shopping bags. The idea that I have, which probably is not new, is for these same stores to provide some sort of credit if shoppers use their bags, say 5 cents for each bag used. I don't see why it wouldn't be a win-win for the stores, each bag could be sold for 5 dollars, that means 100 visits to the store for each bag before they would lose their investment, plus the savings in plastic bags, and the good public relations.

Just my two cents, but I think that people would embrace this idea sooner if they received some sort of compensation for using this new shopping bag.

No comments: