Wednesday, October 10, 2007

8 Treasures Tea


I received another surprise at my recent Birthday from my sister and brother-in-law, he had brought this special tea from China, called Babaocha, or, literally, 8 Treasure Tea, so called because it has eight ingredients, one of them being tea (Jasmine is usually the favourite, but any kind of green tea can be used). There is usually also rock sugar as one of the ingredients. The remaining six ingredients vary, these could be sesame, wolfberry/goji, ginseng root, raisin, walnut, dried longan, dates, haw, red jujube, dried tangerine peel, dried lemon peel or various dried flowers or herbs. Because of the ingredients, this tea has health properties, it is said, variously, depending on which of the above ingredients are used, to promote energy, improve circulation, to replenish 'chi', to reduce cholesterol, aid blood circulation, strengthen the body's immune system, cool the body's system, tonify the liver, and/or generate blood. It's hard to tell, but this one contains dried longan, raisin, dates, wolfberry, chrysanthemum and apricot, along with the rock sugar and green tea. To drink, just steep, using not quite boiling water (80 to 90C).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to announce that due to my falling in love with 8-Treasure Tea, I am now the exclusive US retailer of the famous 8-Treasure tea, from the Anhui region. I'm not at all trying to sell anything--I have found your website when I was first looking for the tea, and I have been found by many people who want to easily access the tea, here in the US. You are welcome to visit my website, and if you email me, I'd send you some samples!!! There are many 8-Treasure tea types that I will be selling. -- TeaBling.com