Sunday, October 15, 2006

Tanzanian Chocolate


Of all places, I picked up this chocolate, made by Saxon Chocolates, at Chapters, a bookseller here in Canada, though they have lots of things for house and home for sale, and various interesting chocolate snacks, so I shouldn't have been surprised. I have a special place in my heart for things Tanzanian, my father was born there, and I didn't really even know that they grew cocoa there, it was a surprise to my father as well. They grow mostly tea there, and some coffee.

This is a dark chocolate, as you can see from the cover, there is 75% cocoa, and the list of ingredients is small and good, only cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter and natural vanilla flavour. The chocolate melts in your mouth very easily, the sign of a good chocolate, and tastes quite smooth. I must admit, I don't know what makes this Tanzanian, there was no information to indicate what I was looking for in terms of flavour and what makes Tanzanian chocolate different than other cocoas. It was a little pricey as well, $7 for 85g, but one expects that from specialty chocolates, and buying chocolate in a bookstore.

No comments: