Sunday, October 15, 2006

Chocolate Ginger Muffins


I had given some crystallized ginger to my sister, she likes it as much as I do, and when she found this recipe in the newspaper, she wanted to try it, and gave me half of the proceeds. I like the combination of chocolate and ginger, so these turned out tasty. I think maybe I would have tried adding a little cocoa to the batter, but that's me. My sister also did not have an orange to zest, but I don't think it harmed the taste.

Chocolate Ginger Muffins
adapted from a Robin Hood recipe
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 egg
1-1/4 cup regular evaporated milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbsp grated orange zest
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup crystallized ginger
Topping:
1/4 cup crystallized ginger
3 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 180C/375F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, place flour, salt, baking powder and ground ginger. Whisk to combine.

In a large bowl, beat together the egg, evaporated milk, honey and orange zest.

Combine dry ingredients with the liquids, stirring together only just enough to moisten. Stir in crystallized ginger and chocolate chips. Spoon batter into muffin tin.

Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over top of muffins.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tops spring back lightly when touched.

No comments: