Monday, August 17, 2009

Homemade Mint Anise Xylitol Mouthwash

I had been looking for at least an alternative to commercial mouthwashes for a while, I didn't like how harsh most of them are, and really don't like the taste of a lot of them, I could stand the soft mint versions, but I recently read about a study that indicated that most commercial mouthwashes with high alcohol content, that is to say more than 25%, may increase your chance to get oral cancer. So there was the impetus that lead me down the road to try to make my own mouthwash. Couple this with my recent interest in the mouth-friendly sugar xylitol, and I knew that I would make my own xylitol mouthwash. What flavour to make, would be the next question. This recipe originally called for fresh rosemary leaves, but I don't really care for the taste of rosemary (add 1 teaspoon). This made a somewhat interesting mouthwash, a very soft mint coupled with the anise flavour. I think I might add 2 teaspoons of xylitol next time, for a little more sweetness. Also, the mouthwash went cloudy about the time I had consumed half of it, though it didn't affect the flavour (I have read that tincture of myrrh, a natural preservative, will protect against this (add 1 teaspoon). I'm still looking for my ultimate flavour, next time I might try lemon oil, but this will do in the meantime.

Homemade Mint Anise Xylitol Mouthwash
3 cups filtered water (distilled is best)
2 tsp fresh mint leaves
1 tsp anise seeds
1 tsp xylitol, to taste

Put the water along with the mint leaves and anise seeds into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Strain herb water through a paper coffee filter or cheesecloth into a glass jar or bottle. Add xylitol and stir to dissolve completely.


C_in_OntarioCanada said...

I just found your blog and think it's interesting. I wouldn't mind trying out some recipes. Your Xylitol Label caught my eye.

I am finding this sweetener in more products here in Ontario all the time. I like the taste of the Trident XTRA CARE gum I tried.

While I believe Xylitol is safe for people & I've read about some health benefits, I think it's important to make pet owners aware that pets react MUCH differently to it. I would like to see warnings on all Xylitol products as they can be deadly for pets who ingest even a small amount. I've read that Xylitol poisoning in dogs can show up within minutes or days! Pet owners might want to search online for more info.

Just thought this info is worth sharing with fellow pet owners.

Mike said...

Good to know. Just like chocolate can be harmful to many dogs.