Friday, March 21, 2008

Jones Blue Bubblegum Soda


I don't really like soda anymore, never really liked it when I was young, well, one or two flavours, and find that the old kind of soda, made with sucrose, is far preferable to the new kind, made with corn-based glucose-fructose or the diet versions made with aspartame. There are healthy versions of soda, which I've written about before, and I was intrigued by this Seattle, Washington-based American series of soda that I came across, which uses cane sugar, a better source of sucrose, albeit it is in an invert form (inverting sugar converts the two molecule sucrose into two single molecules, one of glucose and one of fructose, this is done by either using an acid or an enzyme - honey is an example of a sugar that is inverted, by bees). The list of ingredients in this soda is fairly good, carbonated water, invert cane sugar, sugar, natural and artificial flavours, citric acid, sodium benzoate (a preservative), potassium sorbate and colour.

This did taste amazingly like bubblegum, and I would say that the colour, or colours, in the ingredients make it blue (I suppose it's part of the "fun factor").

No comments: