Friday, March 21, 2008

Green & Black's Maya Gold


This chocolate bar from Green & Black's, is done in the style of the Maya Indians in southern Belize, which is to say that they flavoured their chocolate with spices, though I imagine that their end product is not as smooth and professional-looking as this one is. The spices that they picked are cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, which is paired or contrasted with orange (never my favourite, but, hey, I keep trying - maybe some day, someone will create an orange flavoured bar that I actually will like - don't take my word for it, lots of other people seem to really like the flavour combination). The ingredient listing, like all of Green & Black's offerings, looks great, organic cocoa mass, organic raw cane sugar, organic cocoa butter, soya lecithin as an emulsifier, natural fruit and spice extracts (0.1%), and organic vanilla extract. The cacoa content is at 55%, which makes it a Dark chocolate. All the cacao in this bar is FairTrade chocolate, and this particular bar is the first in the UK to be awarded the FairTrade mark, back in 1994.



How does it taste? Better than most orange-chocolate bars that I've tasted, but I still am on the search for the one that makes the grade, makes me say that orange and chocolate is a legitimate flavour combination. The chocolate itself is very smooth and tasty. I doubt though that I would eat this bar again.

No comments: