Sunday, March 09, 2008

Gran Bouquet Peperoncino


This Tuscan offering from Slitti I encountered in one of my favourite Italian specialty stores in Kitchener, they were offering samples of various of their chocolates, this one intrigued me the most. The idea of hot pepper and chocolate as a combination is an old idea, certainly it was consumed that way by the Incans and others long ago, but I only recently encountered the combination myself. The idea of spicy chocolate runs counter to the idea of sweet chocolate in North America, milk chocolate everything, but I have noticed more and more offerings containing spicy ingredients, including some from Lindt. When I first tried this, it had a nice kick to it, very spicy but not overly spicy, the chocolate compliments the spiciness well. The ingredient listing of this bar looks good, cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, cane sugar crystals, chili pepper and natural vanilla. The cacao content is 73%.



How does it taste? Very good, spicy and chocolatey, but not for one who does not like or can't tolerate the hot stuff. I would buy this bar again, despite its $10 price tag. One pays for the good stuff.

No comments: