Sunday, March 08, 2009

Krispy Kreme Donuts


I remember when Krispy Kreme donuts first arrived in Canada, there was one in Kitchener, and one in Mississauga; I used to pass the store on a Sunday evening returning home, there were long line-ups, out the door, to buy these new donuts. Nowadays there are no long line-ups, but it is still an attraction (at least in Mississauga, the one in Kitchener closed long ago - perhaps because no one was interested in the new kid on the block, they already had their favourite - Tim Hortons), my beautiful Bride's brother recently came to try them, and dropped off a six-pack for us. The one time I was in one, down in the States near Buffalo, I was handed a freshly made donut, and you could watch them being made. Hot donuts are good, and these are fairly good tasting, but I find these ultimately very, very sweet. I read too, recently, that one minor league baseball team had burgers for sale, in which they replaced the hamburger bun with a sliced original Krispy Kreme donut.

In the picture, one of the donuts is upside down; the top side has chocolate icing, and it is filled with cream. Another is filled with raspberry. Another is filled with custard.

No comments: