Monday, February 09, 2009

Organic Traditions Cacao Nibs


There's been a lot of press about the benefits of dark chocolate, eating a bit each day could be good for your heart. Certainly I would advocate eating dark chocolate anyways, it soothes the soul, and if it brings health benefits as well, only better. But there is an even better source of the good stuff in chocolate, that is raw cacao nibs, essentially chocolate before it is processed and becomes chocolate. High in flavonols, cacao nibs are a great source of antioxidants, one of the highest food sources (more than blueberries, strawberries, spinach, kale and broccoli). I like the Organic Traditions brand, opening up the package brings the wonderful smell of chocolate, very fresh. I have it in my morning cereal, and have had it in cookies, and would like to try it with my coffee (to make mocha). And one day, I'd like to try it at the source, right on a cacao bean farm. Of course, it's not for everyone's tastes, it's only cacao, no sugar or other flavourings, so it's very chocolate-y, and high in the "kick" that good dark chocolate has.



No comments: