Monday, November 24, 2008

El Rey Sugar Free White Chocolate


I have talked about Venezuela's Chocolates El Rey before, and have reviewed two of their chocolate bars, their Mijao, and their Apamate, both of which I liked; this is another of their bars, different from the other two, in that this is white chocolate, and that it is also sugar free. Sugar free in the sense that it doesn't contain sucrose, rather it substitutes maltitol. Maltitol is a sweetener with similar properties to sucrose, made from maltose, among its benefits is that it does not promote tooth decay and it is absorbed slower than sucrose. The ingredient listing is fairly good, short, maltitol, cocoa butter, milk ingredients, soya lecithin and vanillin.



How does it taste? I would say that this is a very good white chocolate bar, the flavour of the maltitol was not much different than the normal sweetness of sucrose. I don't think that I would buy this again (assuming I could even find a source for it), but it provides more evidence of the quality of Chocolates El Rey.

No comments: