Sunday, November 16, 2008

Lindt Excellence Fleur De Sel


Fleur de Sel is hand-harvested sea salt from Brittany in France, expensive greyish salt that enhances most savoury foods by sprinkling over just before serving, just like fresh herbs (there are lots of different kinds of sea salts you can buy, each with a different colour and taste, Fleur de Sel is just one of the more famous). I have heard of a few ways of adding this salt to enhance sweet dishes, certainly there are enough with caramel, it pairs well with caramel, even Haagen-Dazs has one, but I have heard of few with just chocolate. This is a dark chocolate bar, but just dark, at 47% cacao content. The ingredient listing is very similar to very many of the Lindt bars, sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, butter fat, soya lecithin, sea salt, and artificial flavour.



How does it taste? Honestly, because I knew it contained Fleur de Sel, I was able to taste it, but I would say that it is subtle, and my beautiful Bride didn't get what was in the chocolate until I told her. I think that the saltiness would pair better with sweeter chocolates, not with the bitterness of this bar. Otherwise, it's good Lindt chocolate, which I don't know is quite enhanced by the saltiness. I doubt that I would buy this bar again.

2 comments:

Mélanie said...

I simply love this one. Verry good.
:)

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to it!! I wrote about it in my blog as well.