Friday, November 10, 2006

Five things to eat before I die

I've come across this meme on other blogs, and thought I'd try my hand at it, even though I have not been, to my knowledge, tagged to do it. These follow in no particular order.

Ever since I read about the King of Fruit in David Quammen's book 'The Boilerplate Rhino - Nature in the Eye of the Beholder', I have been intrigued by the idea of going to Indonesia. There, if I were to arrive in the right season, and go to the right place, a tiny volcanic island called Ternate, I could find and taste a freshly picked Durian fruit and savour the strange, rich, wonderful flavour, all the while enduring the overwhelming pungent smell. But it would be worth it, I think.

Being a chocoholic by nature, I would like to go to the source of cacao, be it in South America, or Africa, to see where it is picked and processed. Or, to go and tour places where they take that raw cacao nibs goodness and make it into edible chocolate, say in Switzerland or France or Italy, home to some of the best chocolatiers.

Having written about the excellent coffee that comes from Costa Rica, I would too be remiss to not go to that country and make a tour of several coffee plantations, there to drink wonderful freshly roasted coffee.

What I write about too, beyond chocolate and all its goodness, is the wonderful nut that is the hazelnut. And where better to go, than to the American Northwest, specifically Oregon, there to taste freshly picked hazelnuts from the bush as they ripen, and to attend Hazelnut Festivals, eat hazelnut baked goods, revel in all things hazelnut.

Lastly, I would like to go and drink some freshly brewed green tea in the place where it is grown in China, specifically that called Long Jing, or Dragon Well in English, prepared in the old way, and savour the freshly brewed goodness of that special tea.

No comments: