Thursday, January 31, 2008

Restaurant Review - AM Africa

The Ethiopian restaurant AM Africa, located in downtown Kitchener, is one I have passed by lots of times but never ventured into. A lot of times, apparently, as it's been in existence since 1996. Having recently got a gift certificate for Christmas for this restaurant from my best friend, I took my beautiful Bride and met him for this excursion into spicy African food. The first unusual thing about this place is its location, you have to walk up a steep flight of stairs to get to the second level. We chose a table next to the windows, overlooking Kitchener's main drag. We had our choice of tables, as there were no other patrons at 2 pm, I guess we missed the lunch crowd, but my friend said that every time he had been here, it was like this. I don't know why, the menu looked interesting and appetizing, there were lots of intriguing dishes to choose from. Looking at the Dinner portion of the menu, we read that each of the dishes is served with the traditional bread, injera, though rice can be substituted. Both my friend and my Bride chose the Asha (Fish Silsi), tender fish (white code) stewed in red pepper sauce, flavoured with onions, garlic, thyme and exotic spices. The lamb dish not being available at that time, I chose instead the Tsebhi Tyel (Yefeyel Wot), which is goat meat seasoned with green pepper, onion and exotic spices. My fried told us that it normally takes them a while to prepare the food, and it did take more than what I am used to. I was suprised to see the very large dish that came out, the injera is a very large flatbread, like a roti, but much larger and thin. The bread tasted very good, and is made from barley flour. The main dishes though tasted delicious. The fish was great, though it had a slightly odd flavour that did not appeal to my Bride. The goat was quite good, though too many bones for my taste. All in all, a very good meal.

No comments: