Thursday, December 27, 2007

Dark Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes


I wanted to make a dessert for my family's Christmas Eve meal, actually I got a request to make one, and so I selected this one, found somewhere long ago on the 'Net. The original recipe called for the cupcakes to cook for 18-20 minutes, I found I needed about 32 minutes for it to be fully cooked through. For the cocoa, I used this powder I found called Ruddy Red, it was certainly reddish in colour, and made the cupcakes dark brown. They turned out moist and very chocolatey, a quite dense cupcake. My beautiful Bride decorated them quite wonderfully.

Dark Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350F. Line two 12-count cupcake pans with paper liners.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat mixture on low speed until batter is moistened; scrape bowl well. Increase speed to medium and beat 1-1/2 minutes until smooth; scrape bowl well. Mix additional 30 seconds if needed.

Fill cupcake pans 2/3 full with batter and bake 30-33 minutes, just until tester inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean.

Cool cupcakes in pan 2 minutes. Carefully remove from pans and cool on rack 1 hour before topping with your favorite frosting.

No comments: