Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wild Blueberry Cookies


I like blueberries, as you might know, especially the wild version. When I came across this recipe, I knew that I would have to make it. Though, on closer inspection, I couldn't see how it would work, so I changed some of the flour to self-rising and some of it to spelt flour. Later, I saw that I missed that you were supposed to add a beaten egg, after the creaming of the butter and sugar, but it seemed to work just fine without it. I lowered the amount of blueberries, they did not seem to "fit" inside the dough, but feel free to add more. Too, the original recipe called for 1 teaspoon of lemon flavouring, I didn't add it, also, I suppose that you could add vanilla instead. These tasted pretty good despite, or perhaps because of, the changes, the consistency of the cookie was cakey, the blueberries, which I thought would burn or fall out, worked great.

Wild Blueberry Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup rice milk
1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup spelt flour
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together flours. Cream butter and sugar. Add rice milk alternately with the flour to the creamed butter. Fold in blueberries.

Drop 1-1/2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 14-16 minutes.

No comments: