Sunday, November 25, 2007

Chocolate Blueberry and Chocolate Ginger Honey Cakes


This is a hard one, I don't know whether I like ginger or wild blueberries more. And, after tasting several of them, I still don't quite know, other than that I like both of them, for different reasons. This is yet another variation on the honey cake theme, I think it makes a versatile and great tasting cake, with lots of combinations. My beautiful Bride preferred the blueberry one. I must admit, it does taste great together, chocolate and blueberries. I had already seen chocolate and ginger together in so many recipes, that I knew that combination would work. Use the best chocolate that you can; I used chocolate chips, as that was what I had on hand.

Chocolate Blueberry and Chocolate Ginger Honey Cakes
225 g sweet butter
250 g runny honey
100 g dark muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
300 g (2-1/4 cups) self-rising flour
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup good chocolate (chips or broken bars)
1/4 cup crystallized ginger pieces
1 cup wild blueberries

Preheat oven to 300F. Grease two 12 cup muffin tins or fill both with paper muffin cups. Whisk flour and cocoa together until well mixed.

Melt butter, honey, and sugar slowly in a saucepan. Boil for one minute. Leave to cool (caramel will thicken).

Add chocolate to caramel; mix to combine. Beat in eggs one at a time in the saucepan. Whisk in flour into egg caramel mixture in two batches. Divide batter into two equal portions. Stir crystallized ginger into one portion of batter, wild blueberries into the other.

Pour into the muffin tins and bake for 55-60 minutes or until cakes are golden brown and spring back when pressed.

Turn out the cake onto a wire rack. Leave to cool.

No comments: