Friday, April 27, 2007

Chocolate Coconut Honey Cake


I like coconut and chocolate together as a flavour combination, these Chocolate Drop cookies are really good and easy to make, and I've talked about my favourite Tim Hortons' donut, the Chocolate White, a chocolate cake donut with coconut frosting on the outside, which I've wanted to make in the form of a cake for a long while. This is my first attempt, though it will not taste like the donut, as it is another variation on the Honey cakes that I have made many different kinds of in the past. The smell of the chocolate and coconut wafting through my place as it bakes is amazing. And the taste was great too, I ate a slice still warm from the oven, like I hoped it would be, chocolatey, and coconuty, too.

Chocolate Coconut Honey Cake
225 g sweet butter
250 g runny honey
100 g dark muscovado sugar
175 g good dark chocolate
3 large eggs
300 g (2-1/4 cups) self-rising flour
1 cup sweetened coconut
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp honey

Preheat oven to 300F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment paper.

Whisk flour and cocoa together till mixed.

Melt butter, honey, and sugar slowly in a saucepan. Boil for one minute.

Add chocolate to hot caramel and stir till melted and mixed through. Leave to cool (caramel will thicken).

Beat in eggs one at a time in the saucepan. Whisk in flour into egg caramel mixture in two batches. Whisk coconut into batter.

Pour into the greased pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until cake is golden brown and spring back when pressed.

Turn out the cake onto a wire rack. Warm 2 Tbsp honey in a small saucepan and brush over the top of the cake to glaze. Leave to cool.

No comments: