Sunday, April 29, 2007

Ghiradelli Espresso Escapade


I'm not a fan of American chocolate, especially the long-standing and well liked Hershey varieties, but there is another very old chocolate company, Ghiradelli from California, in business since 1852, purveyors of fine chocolate. Recently, they have joined the trend of making high-end dark chocolate products, this Espresso Escapade bar is one of three specialty Intense Dark chocolate bars. This one, which cost me about $3.50, has 60% cocoa content with finely ground espresso beans (really, so finely ground I didn't notice them). The ingredient listing looks good, bittersweet chocolate (made from cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, milk fat, soya lecithin and vanilla), milk fat, coffee, cocoa butter and coffee oil (an interesting ingredient). The chocolate has a good aroma, the chocolate is smooth (what they describe as velvety) tasting, but doesn't really linger long in the palate, nor is it what I would describe as really intense, I couldn't really taste the espresso parts. Not a bad chocolate bar, and it tasted good enough that I want to try the other two in this line, though it's not likely that I would buy this particular bar again.

No comments: