Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sarotti No. 1 Papua Neuguinea


I must confess that I don't like candied orange peel, never have, hot crossed buns at Easter don't do it for me, because of the candied bits in them, so I viewed this version of Sarotti's No. 1 series, the fourth one I have reviewed, with a little trepidation. This bar contains cacao beans from Papua New Guinea, of Criollo and Forastero varietals, and has a cocoa content of 72%. Like the other bars in this series, the ingredient listing is short, just cocoa mass, sugar, candied orange peel (orange peel, sugar, dextrose), soya lecithin as an emulsifier, and vanilla flavour. When it came to tasting it, it broke very well, with a good snap, smelled fairly good, orangey, but the taste almost immediately when chewing it, was overwhelmingly orange, the chocolate disappeared into the background, and, eventually, I was down to chewing the bits I don't like, the candied peel. I must confess, that I could not finish this, I only ate four squares of the ten in the package, so I gave it a fair try, I think. I did give it to another lady at work who enjoys candied peel, but I would not buy this again, ever.

No comments: