Saturday, August 19, 2006

Chinese Sweet Red Bean Paste Bread

I invented this recipe, after trying the white bread version I bought from T&T, an excellent Chinese grocery, they have several locations in the Toronto area, including a brand new one less than five minutes away from me, I can't wait till they are open. I normally don't eat white bread, used to as a kid, though I would need five or more slices to fill my growing body, as opposed to 2 or 3 of the whole wheat versions, though I still like it as toast, with butter, but this bread is different, if I didn't tell you there was cheese in it, you wouldn't guess, but you would know if was different than normal bread. I think the sweet red bean paste, which you can buy in Chinese groceries, or make your own, which I did, works well with the dough. I have used this dough to make other similar kinds of breads, both savoury and sweet, which also worked well, I'll write about them in later entries.

Chinese Sweet Red Bean Paste Bread
150 g Quark Cheese, liquid removed (or ricotta, or pressed cottage cheese)
6 tbsp Milk
6 tbsp Oil
75 g Sugar
3 tsp Vanilla Sugar
pinch salt
300 g Flour, sifted
3 tsp Baking Powder
sufficient sweet red bean paste to cover whole surface of rolled dough (1 to 1-1/2 cups)

Remove most of the liquid from the cheese (Note: weight of cheese is without liquid). Combine cheese, milk, oil, sugars and salt. Stir until smooth.

Combine flour and baking powder. Add half the flour mixture by tablespoonfuls to the cheese mixture. Knead in the rest of the flour mixture.

Roll out the dough into a rectangle of 30x40 cm size (the short end must fit into a bread pan). Spread bean paste evenly over the whole surface of the dough. Roll up the dough by the short side and place into a greased bread pan. Score the top several times to a depth of 1/2 cm. Bake at 350F for approx. 45 minutes.

No comments: