Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pacari Merken Aji Ahumado

The Ecuadoran chocolatier Pacari makes some great chocolate bars; I've enjoyed very much several of them. This bar uses a spice from Ecuador called Merken, which is used traditionally by the indigenous Mapuche people of Chile, and is a combination of heat and smokiness. The ingredient listing is good, cacao beans, cane sugar, merken (chili, cumin, salt) and sunflower lecithin. The cacao content of these Ecuadorean Origin beans is 60%.

How does it taste? Very good, as I've said I've enjoyed the taste of all the bars I've tried from Pacari. They are a little expensive, but well worth the treat. This bar is not too spicy, for those wary of the heat, and the merken spice works well with the chocolate. I would buy and eat this bar again.

No comments: