Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Kohlrabi With Honey Butter


I had wanted to try this recipe for a while, having liked the unusual taste of kohlrabi since I was a child, this cousin of the cabbage (kohl is German for cabbage; rabi is German for turnip). Kohlrabi can be eaten raw or cooked. I liked this recipe, as I like honey and melted butter. It tasted pretty good, though the honey sauce was too watery, perhaps if I had removed the cooked kohlrabi and carrots from the vegetable stock before I added the other ingredients, I'll try next time.

Kohlrabi with Honey Butter
8 small kohlrabis (about 2 lbs.), peeled & cut into 1/4" x 1/4" x 1" sticks
2 med. size carrots, peeled & cut into 1/8" x 1/8" x 1" strips
2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp shredded lemon peel
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter

In a medium saucepan cook kohlrabi and carrots with chicken broth, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes until crisp tender. Add parsley, lemon peel, lemon juice, honey, pepper and butter. Toss lightly and serve.

No comments: