Sunday, May 06, 2007

Mae Ploy Thai Yellow Curry



There are three common types of curry popular in Thailand, the red and green kinds are the most popular, though, for some reason, I prefer the least popular kind, the yellow curry. I recall about 20 years ago, eating at a Thai restaurant in Boston with a number of my friends, and ordering a yellow curry dish, it was just chicken. And, it was delicious, flavourful and slightly sweet, with a little kick to it. And, I sought it out since, trying it now and again at various Thai or Vietnamese restaurants. Now, I wanted to make my own yellow curry dish. Rather than make my own, a next step, I decided to try this brand from Thailand, Mae Ploy, who also make a red and a green curry version. It turned out quite good, very tasty, though not as good as that first taste of the yellow. I served it with vermicelli, and used chicken thighs for the meat.

Thai Yellow Curry
50 g of Yellow Curry Paste
2 cups coconut milk, separated
200 g of meat
100 g of potatoes
50 g of onion
100 g of carrots
1/2 cup water

Stir-fry yellow curry paste with 1 cup of coconut milk, until dissolved, then add the additional 1 cup of coconut milk, and heat until boiling. Add the meat, and continue cooking until done, about ten minutes. Add potatoes, onion and carrots and the 1/2 cup water, and cook until the potato, carrots and onion soften, about fifteen minutes.

No comments: