Thursday, May 31, 2007

Green Tea Almond Cookies


This is the second of the four cookies I made for my Hotpot dinner with my beautiful Thai girlfriend, her brother, her sister and two of her nephews. Green tea powder, or matcha, comes from Japan, and is what is normally used in 'Green Tea' baked goods. The green tea smells very good, and its scent comes out in the finished cookie. Almonds and green tea are two favourites of my beautiful Thai girlfriend, I hope she likes them. As I was making so many cookies, I cut the recipe in half from the original.

Green Tea Almond Cookies
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 tsp matcha (green tea) powder
1/2 cup ground almonds
flaked almonds, to decorate

Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift flour with baking powder, matcha and almonds.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fuffy.

Add egg and beat in well.

Add flour mixture in two batches; stir to combine.

Roll mixture into small balls and flatten slightly. Gently press a flaked almond into the top and place on baking sheets.

Baked for about 15 minutes.

Makes 48 small cookies.

No comments: