Saturday, February 04, 2006

How to cure a cold, Chinese style

The tried and true method of curing the common cold is rest and plenty of liquids, and my sister wrote me that she had read that chicken soup, especially that from female hens, increases circulation to the bronchial tubes and larynx, increases the secretion of mucus and relieves coughing. There's some scientific evidence to suggest that this old wives' tale has some substance to it. But she also sent me a link to a Chinese cure for the common cold, and it involves cola and ginger. Now, ginger brings heat to the body, especially in winter, it's good as a tea or added in soups. I, as a rule, don't like soft drinks, especially colas, but I'm always willing to try new things, especially when it comes to food. Now, all I have to do, is wait for my next cold. I haven't had one for over two years, and before that, I only got about two a year.

Coca-Cola Ginger Tonic
Pour 750ml of cola into a pot and heat on the stove.
Slice thin pieces of ginger, equaling a handful, into the cola and heat for 10 min.
Filter the heated concoction into a glass.
Drink the hot ginger cola and repeat once a day until well.

No comments: