Saturday, February 04, 2006

Kalte Schnauze


Kalte Schnauze or Kalter Hund, Cold Dog in English, is a favourite recipe of mine growing up, though we never got it very often. My aunt would make it for my Dad, he liked it too. Now, that I am older, I can make it whenever I want, one of the joys of growing up and being on your own, assuming I can find the Palmin, or coconut oil. I recently found a European Food store near where I work, I stopped by their last weekend, and bought a bunch of things, including some Palmin. Use rum flavouring if you don't like alcohol or if this is for children. I use the German Butterkeks from Bahlsen as the butter biscuits, you could use any kind of biscuit, I guess, these just work very well with the recipe.

Kalte Schnauze
Butter Biscuits
3 eggs
200 g icing sugar
4-5 Tbsp cocoa
250 g Palmin (coconut oil)
Tbsp Rum (or Rum Essence)

Beat the eggs, the icing sugar, the cocoa and the rum together. Heat the coconut oil on minimum; you want this to be subjected to as little heat as possible. Slowly add the melted coconut oil to the chocolate. This should end up being fairly thick. Line a loaf pan with clear cling wrap. Now, pour a thin layer of the chocolate, then a layer of the butter biscuits, another think layer of chocolate, alternating until you end with a final layer of chocolate. The biscuits will rise to the top, so push them down a little into the chocolate. Place the loaf pan in the fridge and let it cool for at least four hours. Take it out of the loaf pan and slice thinly to serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is that everytime anyone talks about this recipe I am taken back to the time in Germany when I was with my grandmother and someone (I don't know who, but I remember Mom and Dad were there) was talking about "Kalte Schnauze", but Grossmutter thought that someone had said "Halt den Schnauze" which is a very rude way of saying "Shut up!"
Little Sis