Saturday, February 04, 2006

German Potato Pancakes

I recall coming home from Public school one lunchtime, to the smell of potato pancakes that my Grandmother visiting from Germany had cooked specially for lunch. They were delicious! And far the best potato pancakes I've ever had. I've realized since that I enjoyed them more for the experience of arriving home to freshly made and hot pancakes, than for the taste of them, and I shouldn't compare what I have since made to that day. I am of the opinion that they should be eaten with applesauce, rather than sour cream, like some do. Feel free to do so.

Potato Pancakes
1 lb. potatoes
1 small onion
1-2 eggs
20-30 g flour
salt and pepper to taste
100 g oil or fat (for frying)

Grate the onion using a fine grater. Wash, peel and grate the potatoes using a coarse grater. Add the eggs, the grated onion and flour to the potatoes and mix well. Heat the oil in a frying pan to medium heat; then lower the heat slightly. Drop a heaping tablespoonful of the potato mixture onto the hot oil, and press it flat with a spatula. Cook till it is golden brown, turning once. Serve with applesauce.

No comments: