Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Scharffen Berger Extra Dark


Like the previous chocolate bar from Scharffen Berger that I reviewed, their Bittersweet 70% bar, while it is excellent chocolate, I find it not very eatable, rather I would say it could be used to make baked goods that ask for melted dark chocolate. The ingredient listing is even smaller, unsweetened chocolate, sugar and natural vanilla flavour. At 82%, the cacao content is very high, and it ends up being a little chalky to my flavour. There is a fruitiness to the chocolate, this is supposed to be dried figs combined with a mild peppery spiciness reminiscent of red wine (from the label); I do get the fruitiness and spiciness taste when I eat it.



How does it taste? Smells good, there is a definite crispiness when you break it, though it doesn't melt so well in the mouth, and doesn't taste so bitter. I would say again that this bar I would use for making, and improving, baked goods, I don't think that I could eat this as a bar on a regular basis.

No comments: