Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Happiness Soup


This is a recipe that I knew would be good when I saw it, and, seeing yellow zucchini at the Farmer's Market last week, I decided it was finally time to make it. And, it turned out as good as it looked. The zesty lemon taste coupled with the turmeric along with the zucchini gives it a slightly sour flavour which is refreshing. I like the combination of the chewy rice and the slightly crunch zucchini. I would say that this soup could make me happy.

Happiness Soup
adapted from a recipe by Nigella Lawson
4 medium yellow zucchini
zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 litre vegetable stock
100 g brown basmati rice
salt and pepper

Finely dice the zucchini. Put them into a pan with the lemon zest and oil, stir to coat, then cook on medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they've slightly softened.

Stir in the turmeric and pour in the vegetable stock and lemon juice and then drop in the rice. Bring to boil, then cook, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, or just until the zucchini and rice are tender.

No comments: