Sunday, June 22, 2008

Scharffen Berger Bittersweet 70%


One of the chocolatiers that I have been meaning to check out, being recommended by Chloe Doutre-Roussell, is Scharffen Berger, makers of fine artisan dark chocolate. I've seen their many products in specialty shops, now their bars are in Shopper's Drugmart, this one is a Bittersweet bar, with 70% cacao content; there is no indication of the origin of the cacao. Like most good bars, the ingredient listing is small, unsweetened chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin (as an emulsifier) and vanilla flavour.



How does it taste? Pretty good, just good and simple dark chocolate with complex flavour, though I don't think this is a good eating bar, rather I would use it in baking to make a great cookie, brownie or cake. The scores where you break off a piece of chocolate are along the diagonal, odd, but certainly no effect on taste, and different than any other chocolate I've come across.

No comments: