Thursday, December 07, 2006

Shortbread Meltaways


I received this insert of recipes from Robin Hood, the maker of good flour, and other food products, and this recipe looked interesting. At one time, I worked for Robin Hood Multifoods, at least in their Technical Centre, though I did no baking, rather I worked with their computers. It is where I actually got my start in the computer field. There was fresh bread available everyday, good bread with no preservatives and few ingredients, they had to test their product based on customer complaints, and employees were able to take the day's leavings. Of course, one person could only eat so much, and I always had a surplus, and there was always more the next day. One gets spoiled. The other day, I drove by, and noticed that the Technical Centre was no longer there. I wonder what happened to it.

Shortbread Meltaways
Adapted from a recipe by Robin Hood
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn starch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup toffee pieces

Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.

Beat butter, icing sugar and vanilla until creamy.

Stir half of flour mixture into creamed butter until combined. Stir in toffee bits and the remaining flour. Mix until just combined.

Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Place on prepared cookie sheets, spacing about 2" apart.

Bake for 15-16 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 2-4 dozen cookies, depending on size.

Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

No comments: