Thursday, December 07, 2006

Meyer Lemons


I have read about these lemons in various blogs, and even have seen a couple of recipes for them, so I wanted to try them, but, up until now, I've never seen them before in Canada. Like the blood oranges I found last Christmas, this year I discovered these in our local large supermarket chain the other day. A Meyer lemon is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, which creates a fruit with the flavour of a lemon and the sweetness of an orange. The juice is richer, darker and more aromatic than a traditional lemon. It would make for a different tasting lemon dessert. The skins, as you can see, are more orangey-yellow, they are also much smaller in size. I believe that you can just substitute one for one in any lemon dessert requiring lemon juice. I tried it first in my fresh carrot-apple-lemon juiced drink, substituting two meyer lemons for one traditional lemon, it tasted quite good, slightly different, less tart, than how it normally turns out. Now, hopefully, people will buy these lemons, and our supermarket will continue to stock these and other new and unique food items.

No comments: