Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Coffee and Hazelnut Cake


I came across this new recipe through Google Alerts, which I've been trying out for the last week or so, it's allowed me to find a few new and interesting food blogs. One of them is called Lucullian Delights, which seems to have lots of simple Italian-based recipes that look tasty. The recipe that I came across first was called Coffee and Hazelnut Cake or Torta Di Caffe'e Nocciole, it looked easy to make and probably delicious, and I knew I had to make it. I include the recipe in this blog as well, I have changed some of the instructions to suit how I would make it. The cake turned out great, moist and slightly heavy, while the coffee flavour comes through strongly, and the hazelnuts, from my point of view, taste great. Too, it's not too sweet, if you want a change from overly sweet cakes. Several people at work enjoyed it as well.

Coffee and Hazelnut Cake
3 eggs
150 g sugar
100 g sour cream
75 g butter, melted
100 g hazelnuts, chopped
75 ml very strong espresso coffee
300 g all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

Sift the flour and baking powder together into a medium bowl; set aside. Prepare espresso. Chop hazelnuts with a little sugar in food processor or blender.

Whisk eggs and sugar for 5 minutes, until pale in colour and thickened. Add the sour cream and the melted butter. Continue whisking until well combined and smooth.

Add coffee and hazelnuts; mix well. Add sifted flour into batter and stir until combined.

Pour the batter into a springform pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Allow to cool on wire rack.

1 comment:

Ilva said...

I'm really happy you liked it!!