Saturday, September 23, 2006

Honey Snaps


The original recipe called for half the amount of ingredients, I just scaled it up, though it works well with the original amounts. The second different thing I tried with this recipe, was to boil the sugar/honey/butter mixture, my inspiration came from the Banana Honey Cake recipe I posted earlier, the boiling caramelizes the sugars and gives it a toffee flavour. Both versions turned out quite well, I don't know which one I prefer, though I think that the toffee flavour works quite well, if subtle. The gingeryness of the ginger powder underlines the honey flavour superbly. These are easy to make, in small batches, though I think they would be eaten just as quickly as any of the other delicious cookie recipes I've brought in to work. I like how it uses honey as its main sweetness, it's sometimes hard to find a recipe that is easy to make, that also incorporates honey, but there were no problems with this. Watch at the end of the baking time would be my only precaution, they tend to go from golden to brown quite quickly.

Honey Snaps
(adapted from a Edmond's Cookery Book recipe)
7 Tbsp butter (approximately 100 g)
4 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons honey (approximately 1/3 cup)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Melt butter, sugar and honey together in a saucepan on medium heat. (Optional - bring to boil and let boil for one minute - sugar and honey will caramelize, giving a toffee flavour.)

Remove from heat. (Let cool for five minutes if brought to boil)

Whisk flour, baking powder, ginger together, then add to the liquid portion, and stir until mixture is smooth. Let sit for a minute or two to cool and thicken.

Drop teaspoonfuls of batter onto a cold oven tray, leaving enough room for each cookie to spread to double its size.

Bake at 180C/350F for 10-11 minutes or until golden.

Leave on tray for a few minutes to cool before removing to a wire rack.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

No comments: