Friday, December 09, 2005

Sandkuchen

I made this for my Dad today, it is one of the two cakes that I make that he really likes. I had made it from a cake mix from the German company Dr. Oetker, I use a fair bit of their products, at least what I can get here, and they don't produce that anymore, so I found this recipe, somewhere on the 'Net. I was intrigued that it had half flour and half corn starch, and my sister-in-law gave me an odd look when I told her, but it turns out quite good. Of course, my Dad, who has hiatus hernia and can't eat spicy things, latched immediately onto the lemon flavouring above all, and wondered if I had put acidic lemons in there. Really, no. Just the flavour of lemons. He's always suspicious and often jumps to the wrong conclusion when it comes to baking. Of course, a lot of things have cinnamon in them, especially if it has apples, and that can be an irritant.

Sandkuchen
250 g butter
200 g sugar
3 tsp vanilla sugar
4 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
3-4 drops real Lemon extract
1/2 tsp Rum extract
125 g flour
125 g corn starch
1/2 tsp baking powder

Stir butter well. Add sugar and vanilla sugar and cream with butter. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring in between. Add salt, lemon and rum extracts. Stir flour, corn starch and baking powder together, then sieve onto butter mixture. Mix well. Place parchment paper into a loaf pan and butter all over the parchment paper. Pour in the dough. Bake 60 minutes at 350F (180C). Cover the cake with more parchment paper if the top begins to brown too much.

No comments: