Saturday, December 17, 2005

Another Christmas Cookie - Pfeffernuesse

A little more than a week to go before Christmas, and I'm really into my Christmas baking. This despite a sinus infection that has bothered me for several weeks. Now I'm on anti-biotics, and they're going to X-Ray my face on Monday. This is a recipe I got from my sister, she's made these in the past, and they turned out pretty good. The week ripening really brings out the flavours, and should be done.

Pfeffernuesse
3 cups sifted flour
¾ teaspoon each salt, baking powder, all-spice, mace, cardamom
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¾ teaspoon soda
1/8 teaspoon ground aniseed
I cup honey
3 tablespoons shortening
1 egg
frosting

Sift dry ingredients. Heat honey (do not boil.) Add shortening. Cool. Beat in egg. Stir in dry ingredients just until blended. Let dough stand 10 minutes to stiffen enough to handle easily. Shape into 1” balls. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350F 13 to 15 minutes. Cool; frost. Store airtight a week to ripen. Makes 60.

Frosting: Combine one tablespoon water (note: original recipe says one egg white, but I never have done it that way), 2 teaspoons honey and ¼ teaspoon ground aniseed. Gradually add 1 and ½ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Put 12 to 14 cookies in a bowl, add 2 tablespoons frosting and stir to frost all sides of cookies. Lift out with a fork onto rack. Repeat until all are frosted.

No comments: