Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Johannisbrot


I had written in my post about egg white, not eating it raw, but this recipe has egg white in the icing, and I've seen a few recipes on the 'Net that have this, at least in the icing. I suppose that it gets cooked somewhat, when you place it on the still warm newly-baked dough. I never really liked this when I was a child, there was something about nuts that ruined a perfectly good cake, it was just the mouth-feel of the nuts that I didn't like, not really the taste of them. Nowadays, I really go for hazelnuts, have a passion for them, I think they're far superior to the almonds, so feel free to double the hazelnut portion.

Johannisbrot
500 grams flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp Cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
375 grams sugar
125 grams butter
3 eggs
125 grams halved hazelnuts
125 grams halved almonds

For Icing:
150 grams icing sugar
1 egg white
water ( to thin if needed)

Cream butter. Add sugar, eggs, nuts, cocoa and spices. Mix in flour, and baking powder. Roll out the dough into a lightly greased 12 by 8 baking pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 40 min (for the last 10 min turn the oven off). Cover with icing. Let cool then cut into triangles.

No comments: