Thursday, August 07, 2008

Kashi Cherry Dark Chocolate Chewy Granola Bars


I've seen the brand Kashi in supermarkets, normally in the Organic or Health section, and Health Food stores, and also even Walmart and Shopper's DrugMart (though the latter is expensive; WalMart is apparently cheap), but have never tried their cereal (it seems to me that was all they made, at least that is what is primarily advertised) as, for one, it is expensive. Well, they also make granola bars, too, and this one in particular intrigued me, one because my sister had pointed out that it was available, though she thought it tasted "dry", and now I found my boss liking them, it's the best bar that he's tasted (we both ate one today - what a coincidence!); second because it contains dark chocolate; and lastly, because it contains cherries and chocolate, a combination I like very much, though I hope that they could add toffee to the mix, then I would really enjoy it. I do like it, it's not so dry-tasting, though I find it not to have so much of a chocolatey taste, the dark chocolate consists of small chips strewn over the top, the cherry taste is much more prevalent. A lot of granola bars in the market are glorified candy bars, with lots of sugar, this one seems to be better, with more natural ingredients, like cane sugar (though cane sugar in some form appears several times in the ingredient listing), the "granola" is made from a mixture of seven whole grains, the tagline of their company, (the seven are hard red winter wheat, oats, rye, barley, triticale, long grain brown rice, buckwheat), and sesame seeds. It also contains inulin, a polysaccharide that promotes the growth of good intestinal bacteria, for one, and also may increase the absorption of calcium and magnesium. The dark chocolate is probably just dark chocolate, in terms of its cacao content, as it has sugar as its main/first ingredient. I would say it's a good snack, a healthy snack, too, with good healthy ingredients, worth buying again.

No comments: