Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Swedish Krullers

I wanted to make this German recipe, called Schurzkuchen for New Year's Eve, it's kind of a tradition to make it then, but unfortunately I forgot the recipe at my home. I did, however, find this similar recipe in this Swedish cookbook that I had recently got. The difference between the two, is that the German recipes use the whole egg, some ground blanched almonds, and some milk, in larger quantity, rather than the cognac. These did turn out to taste about the same as the schurzkuchen, everyone said so, though I had the oil too hot at first, and lost the first three. Lesson learned. I also did not add the grated lemon rind or the cognac when I made these.

Swedish Krullers
4 egg yolks
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cognac
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp softened butter
100 g (1 cup) flour
oil, for frying
sugar, for garnish

Stir together the egg yolks, sugar, salt, cognac and lemon rind. Add the butter and flour; quickly work the dough together. Chill for 2 hours.

Roll out the dough on lightly floured surface to little more than 3 mm thickness. Use a ruler and cut the dough with pastry wheel into strips, 3x10 cm, with slanted edges. Cut a 3 cm slit in center of each strip and pull one end through the slit.



Heat the oil in heavy-bottomed pan to 175C. The fat should go about 8 cm deep. Cook a few crullers at a time until golden, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towel for a minute, then dip both sides in sugar.



Makes about 30.

No comments: