Friday, July 14, 2006

Wellness Cake

I'm always leery of a recipe for a nutritional or healthy dessert, while I know that eating too many sweets leads to conditions like obesity and diabetes, I believe that, if you are going to eat sweets, it is better to occasionally make a very good dessert with the best and freshest ingredients you can. I believe that my mother got this recipe when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, probably one of several recipes she received, meals to make her better. Take it as you will, the recipe looks like it will turn out to be a good chocolate cake, if a little unconventional. Carob powder is made from the carob bean, and is a good substitute, some say healthier, for cocoa. Caf-lib is not made from the coffee bean, rather, if I recall, from roasted chicory root, my parents tried that for a while, too, to be more healthy; I, on the other hand, would rather drink very good coffee, Costa Rican is my choice, once in a while. Make sure to use fresh wheat germ, purchased from a place that stores it refrigerated, or with a high turnover rate, it spoils rather quickly, the oil in it turning rancid. Or, you can buy toasted wheat germ, that might add an interesting flavour.

Gesundheitskuchen
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup cocoa or carob powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup oil
1-3/4 cups apple juice concentrate
1/2 cup cereal beverage, such as Caf-Lib
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together the first eight ingredients, then mix in the egg, egg whites and vanilla.

Bake at 325F for 35 minutes.

No comments: