Saturday, July 01, 2006

Easy to make Fruit Champagnes

I was in Germany in 1980 on a scholarship, and at the end of the summer, I visited my Grandmother, to meet up with my parents and sister. And there it was I discovered the wonderfully tasting Holundersekt, or Elderberry Champagne. I couldn't get enough of this. These two recipes are easy to make, what could be easier then mixing a bunch of ingredients together and leaving it in the sun for several weeks. The hard part is waiting all that time!

Holundersekt
7-10 Elderberry blossoms
250-300 g sugar
3 lemons, sliced
1/4 L vinegar
1 tsp rice
10 L water

Leave mixture 4-6 days in a cool place, now and then stirring.

Filter and put into bottles (9/10 full); cork well.

Place in the sun until it bubbles strongly.

Black Currant Wine
1 cup black currants
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup water

Put into jar and let stand in the sun for the rest of the summer.

1 comment:

hellaD said...

That elderberry wine sounds fantastic, I'm gonna have to try it! Great site, love the info.