Monday, July 31, 2006

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares

My brother got married in 1984 in Woodstock, and, to save expenses, they had a buffet of desserts before and after the meal. There were all kinds of goodies there, but, for some reason, I couldn't get enough of these awesome desserts! I had to get the recipe for it as well, they were done by my sister-in-law's mother, and I've made them several times since, though not recently, as I've gone off peanut butter, which I used to eat a lot of when I was a child, now it just doesn't appeal to me at all. But the combination of butterscotch and peanut butter was unique and wonderful, sweet and nutty, like honey and peanut butter is. I wonder if you could substitute 1/2 cup of runny honey for the butterscotch, and still come out tasty. I'll have to try that sometime.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares
1 cup peanut butter, smooth
2 small packages butterscotch flavoured chips
2-3 cups marshmallows
1/2 cup nuts (walnuts or peanuts or almonds), chopped (optional)

Melt the peanut butter and butterscotch chips on low heat until melted and smooth. Cool slightly, then add the marshmallows and nuts (if using); mix to combine. Pour into buttered pan. Cut into squares when cool.

No comments: