Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lentils and Pancetta


I came across this recipe on David Rocco’s show Dolce Vita on Food Network, and adapted it to suit my tastes. It originally had hot peppers, but having none on hand, and having some roasted red peppers I had recently bought that were sitting in my larder, I decided to change the recipe. As well, the original recipe calls for prosciutto, which I also did not have, so I substituted pancetta. It turned out quite well, salty and sweet, but not overly of either. By all means, if you like it hot, and I do most of the time, feel free to add some heat.

Lentils and Pancetta
Adapted from a recipe by David Rocco
9 oz pancetta, cubed (250g)
2 x white cooking onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sprig of rosemary
1 medium bell pepper, yellow or orange
1/2 roasted red pepper
2 x 19 oz canned lentils, drained and rinsed
Pinch of salt

Sauté pancetta for a moment or two in the olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat, until they are browned on one side, then add the peppers and onions and continue cooking until the onions are browned and the bell pepper is softened.

Add lentils to pan. Cook for a few minutes so that the lentils absorb flavours of the other ingredients. Add a pinch of salt.

Remove rosemary sprig and plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: