Monday, April 24, 2006

Hazelnut Cardamom Cookies


I found this recipe on a food blog, for Cardamom Cookies, and thought that it would be improved with ground hazelnuts and chocolate. Which it ended up being, it tasted better than the original version, which I also liked. The cookies are kind of puffy or marshmallowy in texture. What I changed from the original version was, I used light muscovado sugar rather than light brown sugar (which is often just white sugar with a little molasses, rather than raw sugar); also I added the ground chocolate and ground hazelnuts. Next time, I think I will try more ground chocolate, as the flavour of the chocolate did not really come out. My inspiration came from the fact that cardamom pairs well with chocolate, and chocolate pairs well with hazelnuts. Inspiration came to me as I drove into work one morning.

Hazelnut Cardamon Cookies
2-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup light muscovado sugar
1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
2 Tbsp ground chocolate

Preheat oven to 180C/350F.

Sift together flour and cream of tartar into a medium bowl.

In a Kitchenaid mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, cardamom, baking soda and salt on medium speed. Add sugar and beat until well combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Add ground chocolate and ground hazelnuts and stir to combine.

Shape dough into golfball-size and flatten them slightly with the palm of your hand onto a parchment lined baking sheet. They will spread a bit, but not too much, as they bake.

Bake for 10 minutes, until cookies are a light, golden brown. Let them rest on the baking sheet for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 2 to 2-1/2 dozen cookies.

No comments: