Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

This is the time of year I start thinking of Christmas baking. Likely I'm not alone in that regard, and there are a few cookies that I make every year. This is one, simple to make and delicious, and it's one of those legacy recipes, we made them when I was a child and I don't know where the recipe came from. You can place these fairly close together, it says 1 inch, as they don't spread. Watch them close to the maximum time, you don't want them to burn.

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
1-1/4 cups sifted icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup cocoa

Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Beat butter with icing sugar until creamy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Stir flour with salt and cocoa. Gradually beat into butter mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until slightly firm. Cool on sheet 5 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I beg to differ. This is not a legacy recipe. We never made them when we were children. This is a recipe that I found several years ago--OK maybe 10 years ago--and that we adopted because we like it.
Little Sis"