Friday, August 31, 2007

Restaurant Review - 360 Restaurant CN Tower

For my beautiful Bride's birthday, I took her to the revolving restaurant atop the CN Tower, 360 Restaurant, which features upscale appetizers, meals and desserts. The main attraction of the restaurant, other than the food, is that it revolves, and you can get a view of Toronto as the platform moves through the 360 degrees in about an hour. I found the prices of the selections to be a little high, though later I found that it included the price of the elevator ride, close to 50 dollars in itself. My beautiful Thai Bride chose a Price Fixe meal, from which she chose an appetizer, a main course and a dessert, the total cost is reduced a fair bit, while I decided to choose from the menu, as the selections in the Price Fixe menu did not appeal to me.

To start with, I chose the Watercress Salad with Roasted Figs and Hazelnuts (you may have guessed already why), which also featured crisp smoked paprika pancetta and passion fruit vinaigrette. This was quite excellent, though we found some of the watercress to be wilted. My beautiful Thai Bride chose the 360 Caesar Salad, with Hearts of Romaine, pancetta (which she chose not to have), vinaigrette and Parmesan cheese. This too was quite tasty. We neglected to take pictures of these two appetizers, so caught up in the experience, I guess.

For our main meals, I chose the Pepper crusted grilled Berkshire Pork Rack Chop and crispy Pancetta, which also came with Klondike Rose potatoes, sage and almond aioli, and golden raisin verjus. This was quite tasty, though I found the pork to be quite dry. My beautiful Thai Bride chose the Pan seared Fillet of Atlantic Salmon on wilted baby Spinach, which also came with Creamer potatoes, coriander sprouts, toasted pumpkin seeds, and warm green tomato vinaigrette. This was quite tasty.




To finish the meal off, and what turned out to be the best and tastiest part of the meal, we each ordered a dessert. I had the Dark Chocolate Tower with preserved Summer Fruits and raspberry vanilla crème Anglaise, which I had had one time before and enjoyed, my beautiful Thai Bride had the Niagara Peach and Strawberry Crumble with cinnamon crème Anglaise and vanilla ice cream, the better tasting of the two.

All in all, I was a little disappointed by the quality and taste of the whole meal. The view was quite good, the experience interesting, we took a lot of pictures, but the meal was not worth the high price.




No comments: